The Chanukka candles are beautiful and joyous, but they need to also be safe. The OU gave out a list of guidelines to help remind people to keep safe this Chanukka.
Burn and Scald Prevention
Chanukah Specific Reminders:
- Keep the menorah away from curtains or any other flammable objects.
- Keep the menorahs away from the reach of small children.
- When making latkes, keep ALL children away from the hot oil.
- When making latkes, remember to turn frying pan handles away from the edge of the stove, so that they do not get knocked over and cause the oil to be spilled.
Sabbath and Holiday Candles General Reminders:
- Never place candles near or under anything flammable.
- Keep Shabbat, Yom Tov, Chanukah, and Yahrzeit candles on sideboards, out of the reach of small children.
- If candles are on the table, keep them in the center where they are less likely to be pulled down by a small child.
The following are common locations in which candles are placed and which cause household fires –
- under kitchen cabinets,
- near window curtains,
- any location a young child can easily reach to pull the candles down,
- any location a family pet can knock candles over.
Sometimes a safe place might need to be built which is non-flammable and away from small children’s hands.
An ounce of prevention is a pound of cure. Let’s make this Chanukkah a win-win for all with the highest standards of safety.
A freilichen and safe Chanukkah to all!