Mayor de Blasio Moves to Shut Down Neighborhoods with Uptick on Wed.

Mayor de Blasio Moves to Shut Down Neighborhoods with Uptick on Wed.
By Yehudit Garmaise

Mayor Bill de Blasio announced today that he is waiting for approval from the state to shut down on Wednesday: public and private schools, restaurants, and nonessential business in the nine neighborhoods in Brooklyn and Queens that are, unfortunately, experiencing a surge in COVID-19 cases.

   For now, de Blasio said that, under his proposal, shuls, for now, would remain open.

   While the citywide rate of infection of COVID was 1.72% over Shabbos, the rates of infection in the nine neighborhoods in Brooklyn and Queen that have been experiencing an uptick since August, has remained over 3% for the past seven days, which influenced Mayor de Blasio to send a proposal to the New York State government to re-shut down those areas.

   The mayor had previously said that he would shut down the schools in any areas whose rates of infection reached 3%.

   The COVID hotspots, in which a half a million Jews live, currently include in Brooklyn: Bensonhurst, Boro Park, Gravesend, Midwood, and Sheepshead Bay, and the areas in Queens include: Far Rockaway and Key Gardens.

    If the state approves de Blasio’s plan, students will be able to attend school in person on Monday and Tuesday, but they will have to shift to online learning on Wednesday. About 100 public schools and 200 private schools will be affected by the shutdown.

     Tonight on Twitter, Assemblyman Simcha Eichenstein didn't sound super-impressed with de Blasio's proposal.

  https://twitter.com/NYCMayor/status/1312805030068736000?s=20

Be in the know

receive BoroPark24’s news & updates on whatsapp

 Start Now

President Trump’s condition improving, plans to leave Walter Reed Hospital by Monday
  • Oct 5 2020
  • |
  • 12:55 AM

Poll Says Most New Yorkers will Vote In-Person on Election Day
  • Oct 2 2020
  • |
  • 3:06 PM