Minyanim Allowed Again After Nine Weeks, Cuomo Says
Albany - Minyanim of up to ten people will be allowed again, after nine weeks of them being illegal, Gov. Andrew Cuomo said on Wednesday.
The governor, speaking at his daily coronavirus press conference, said that religious gatherings will be permitted beginning Thursday morning, provided that all members wear face masks and remain six to eight feet away from each other. Also permitted Thursday are drive-in and parking lot services.
The governor added that the state is working with its Interfaith Advisory Council to develop protocols for group prayers and gatherings, noting that the first hotspot began at a religious gathering in New Rochelle.
"Prayer services,” state Sen. Simcha Felder said in a statement, “are integral to every religious community. We worked diligently to allow minyanim in our shuls. I want to thank Governor Cuomo for announcing today that religious services are permitted."
Meanwhile, Cuomo said that there has so far not been a surge in cases in the seven regions of the state that have been allowed to reopen. The Capital Region, which includes Albany, met the seven reopening requirements Tuesday, meaning that only New York City, Long Island and the Hudson Valley are still closed.
to get BoroPark24’s email updates
Be in the know
receive BoroPark24’s news & updates on whatsappStart Now