CDC and FDA Probably Will Restart Use of J & J Vaccine by Friday
The United States plans to restart its use of the Johnson & Johnson’s COVID-19 vaccine this week, perhaps with restrictions on age or gender or with a blanket warning, after six women, out of 7 million, who were given the shot, developed of very rare blood clot cases, top infectious diseases expert said today.
The very small number of women, one of whom died, who suffered from the blood clots, were all between the ages of 18 and 48. The vast majority of patients who received the J & J shot have experienced no or mild side effects.
Authorities have stressed they have found no sign of blood clots in patients who have received the more widely-used Modern and Pfizer vaccines.
The US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the Food and Drug Administration temporarily halted the use of the J&J vaccine last week after meeting to assess more evidence to decide as to whether the adverse reaction of the patients who developed the unusual blood clots were linked to the shot: and if so, how big the risk is that others will develop blood clots are well.
The CDC will meet on Friday to discuss whether to lift its previously recommended pause in the use of J&J’s single-dose vaccine, reported Dr. Anthony Fauci, who seriously doubted that the US would permanent stop its use of the one-shot vaccine.
“I don’t think that’s going to happen,” Dr. Fauci said on several news programs this morning. “The pause was to take a look, make sure we know all the information we can have within that timeframe, and also warn some of the physicians out there who might see people, particularly women, who have this particular adverse event, that they treat them properly.
“I think [the CDC] will likely say, ‘OK, we’re going to use it. But be careful under these certain circumstances.’”
Dr. Fauci, who added that he would be surprise if the use of the shot is not resumed by Friday, said, “I don’t really anticipate that they’re going to want it stretch it out a bit longer.”
Janet Woodcock, M.D., the acting FDA commissioner, said she expected the pause to last only a matter of days.
(Photo by Darren McGee- Office of Governor Andrew M. Cuomo)
to get BoroPark24’s email updates
Be in the know
receive BoroPark24’s news & updates on whatsappStart Now